12/22/16

Grave Predictions: Tales of Mankind’s Post-Apocalyptic, Dystopian and Disastrous Destiny

My rating - 3 Stars

Grave Predictions is another anthology with an apocalyptic or dystopian theme to the stories. I consider myself a fan of the apocalyptic/dystopian genre so I was excited to see a collection with a variety of stories. There are 16 different stories by 16 different writers. I included the full list of stories below. It is always nice to know what stories are in a collection like this beforehand. The stories are not new and have been published before. Only one of the 16 I have read before. Most of them weren't too depressing either, which is a plus.There is something for everyone - super computers, comets, aliens, global warming, nuclear war and more. My favorites were The End of the World, Upon the Dull Earth, The End of the Whole Mess, and Tight Little Stitches in a Dead Man's Back. Short stories are always a hit or a miss. You either love them or hate them.  Overall, I rated the majority of the stories as three stars. If you haven't read these before and you are a fan of sci fi and short stories, then this would be a good collection to read.

Eugene Mouton - The End of the World (1872)
W. E. B. Du Bois - The Comet (1920)
Ray Bradbury - The Pedestrian (1951)
Arthur C. Clarke - No Morning After (1954)
Philip K. Dick - Upon the Dull Earth (1954)
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. - 2 B R 0 2 B (1962)
Harlan Ellison - I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (1967)
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas (1973)
Brian M. Stableford - The Engineer and the Executioner (1976)
Stephen King - The End of the Whole Mess (1986)
Joe R. Lansdale - Tight Little Stitches in a Dead Man’s Back (1992)
Greg Bear - Judgment Engine (1995)
Erica L. Satifka - Automatic (2007)
Mark Samuels - The Black Mould (2011)
Ramsey Campbell - The Pretence (2013)
Carmen Maria Machado - Inventory (2013)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!